Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Becoming a brand....

I've always admired people who are able to take a passion and turn it into a career....and in some cases, a brand....I site examples of Trish Stratus, Matt Hardy, Allison Moyer, Brittany Beede....the last two in particular I admire b/c it's more like what I'd like to do which is to help and encourage others to take on the healthy and fit lifestyle....but how does one get to that point? well, here's a few theories:


1- practice what you preach: anyone who reads my blogs know that I struggle with this one daily....but maybe if I get back into the realm of actually being hands on with clients I'd be able to keep this one fully in focus


2- PR! facebook, twitter, blogs....anything to get your name out there and promote your message....and a website sure doesn't hurt either


3- word of mouth- they tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on, and so on (thank you Wayne's World)




opinions? more theories? ADVICE????

3 comments:

Jesse said...

Wow. This is a hard one as it is just basic business practice. I have found in my profession that a few things have stood out.

1. Do what you say you will. I find some of the worst horror stories from bad tows are tow companies just not showing up!

2. Be prompt, courteous and professional. Nothing amazes some of my cuomers more than us showing up on time, happy, dressed in polos and slacks and knowing EXACTLY whats going on and what to do. I always wonder what has happened in their past that this isnt EXPECTED.

3. Be Knowledgable. I can cite about as many stats on cars, recovery and state laws as you can stand, not really by design but bc I HAVE to know them. It amazes me that some company employees dont know ANY.

4. Get organized. I learned early in this industry that while towing is easy, driving business to my door is not. I keep tabs on EVERY expense and where our calls come from. I try to maintain as many revenue streams as possible and in order to do that I make a LOT of contacts. Consequently I have a TON of business cards and contracts and such that has to be organized so I can keep them straight.

5. Advertise!!! Everyone forgets that no one knows you when you start out. I use Google, Superpages, word of mouth, business cards, schmooze fests and will probably start adding in the Rhino before long. Its expensive but I cant tell you how much money it brings in(actually I can but its a LOT).

Anonymous said...

Forgot too:

6. Join professional organizations. I am a member of a few local and national tow assoc's am certified by Wreckmaster, active in the largest tow frum website in the world and am going to try to get to some tow shows this year. Id like to join the local chamber of commerce but it may have to wait. im a bit busy with a baby at the moment :D

GYMDIVA said...

thank you Jesse! all excellent advice :)