Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 28, 2011

a few easy smoothie recipes

so I recently purchased a Hamilton Beach individual blender (only $15 at WalMart!)....I really enjoy it and it does actually crush up ice like a pro! major plus since my larger blender was never too good at it....so I was talking to a coworker last night (babygirl!) and I told her I'd post up some of my favorite recipes since she likes to make them and take them to class....these are way easy and can easily be manipulated for your needs and/or tastes....I did not do macro breakdowns for these but I don't think it'd be too difficult to look at the labels and see what you're getting....these are all low in sugar and high in protein....


Mocha Protein: now this one has a couple of versions-play around and see which you like best

#1-
1 greek yogurt (plain)
1 indv packet of instant coffee
~1/4c unswt choc almond milk (I use Blue Diamond)
2 packets Stevia in the raw
ice to desired thickness

#2-
1/2c coffee of choice (I used some Bean Traders southern pecan roast-yum!)
2 packets stevia
1 scoop choc protein (I'm using Optimum Nutrition's Natural Whey)
~1/4c unswt choc almond milk
ice to desired thickness



Berry Smoothies:

I have not played around with fresh fruit yet, only frozen-so far I've worked with raspberries & blueberries-again, there's variations and just play around and see what you like!

blueberry:
~1/2c blueberries
1 greek yogurt (plain)
1/4 packet of white choc ff/sf pudding mix
1oz walnuts

blueberry #2:
~1/2c blueberries
1/2c unswt vanilla almond milk
1/2 serving of hemp protein powder (I'm using Nutiva)
2 packets stevia
ice to desired thickness

for the raspberry just sub in for the blueberry for the above recipes....I love the hemp protein added into the one recipe b/c it gives it a nutty flavor without sacrificing any added calories (if they're not needed at that meal)....and hemp protein is gluten and soy free! woohoo!


you can also sub in cottage cheese for the greek yogurt....I also recommend trying vanilla or honey flavored greek yogurt in place of the plain just be sure to check the labels since some companies add in too much sugar in those flavors....I have had good luck with Kroger's brand of greek yogurt and they're usually only $0.89-$0.99 a cup!
  

1 comment:

Miss Dizzy said...

My favorite way to make a smoothie is just 1 banana or 1/2 cup of another fruit, 1/2 cup of plain or vanilla yogurt (ok I kinda just dump it in without measuring) and 1 cup of juice (whatever you like). I guess it's probably not as healthy as yours, but maybe you could adapt it? If it's not sweet enough (it usually is), I add a bit of honey, bc I can't do artificial sweeteners.